Friday, August 13, 2010

Think about it...

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is grab a cup of coffee or tea, some snack, and then get on the computer. Facebook, Blogger, Youtube... Youtube. I don't watch every new video made by the youtubers I have subscribed to. If the title catches my eye, I'll watch it. If your video is about... say, flat irons, chances are I'll skip it. There's no way I'll ever use a flat iron on myself... my hair is way too funky, I leave that to professionnals. But anyways. There are some youtubers that I do follow religiously, because I can relate to them the most. Sarah is one of them... She's the sweetest thing, her words are always so full of kindness and she's very talented. And this morning, after watching her latest videos, I knew I had to post this.

She speaks of beauty, and how our culture pictures makeup as something essential and promotes not showing any flaws that we might have. Her message is pretty clear : We're beautiful, even without makeup. Her videos just makes me wonder, what is the real purpose of makeup in everyone's life? In mine? She also challenges us to go an entire day without makeup. Could you do it? Do YOU feel beautiful even without any makeup on?

I'll be honest and say that I have those days where I just feel like only makeup can save me. You know those days where you go whoa, who's that looking at me in the miror? But really, is the problem really on my face, or just in the way I see myself? For me, makeup has two purposes :

1 - Covering up what's bugging me, like dark circles or the occasionnal breakouts, and
2 - Expressing who I really am and creating

So what fits in the first category? Face stuff : foundation, concealer, powder... The reason why I personally feel the need to use those products is that I've had uneven skin forever. I was part of the oh so lucky teenagers whose faces had to pay the price of hormonal changes. At first, I didn't bug me much, because everyone always tells you that it's only temporary and that your skin will get better as you get older, right? But here's the catch! Even though the pimples went away, I still have issues with my skin, and high school was over ten years ago. So I give myself the right to be annoyed with it and to camouflage what I can, and I do it for myself. And I don't use layers and layers of makeup, I just even things out... I hate feeling like I'm wearing a mask.When I was younger, I would use a lot more... But I guess as you gain more self-esteem, you shed some layers...

And all the fun comes within the second category. I'm not a professional make up artist. I do this for fun, because I like to try out new things and seeing what fits me the best. I enjoy enhancing my own features. I like having a pin up look one day and anime eyes the next. It's just exciting to me. What do you feel when you grab your makeup brush? Excitement? Or the need to hide your face, to change it into something else? Think about it next time you apply your makeup, and wonder why you do it. Feeling good in your own skin is so important! This is something I have learned not too long ago. It's never too late to learn! ;)

When I met my boyfriend, I didn't want him to see me without makeup on. I even slept with it on. I know, how bad is that... But now I realize how stupid it was, hey, he's a guy... I could grow a third arm and he'd go a week without noticing it. Just remember that no matter what you do, the girl who enters the bathroom to take her makeup off is the same that comes out of it with a bare face. Nobody's perfect, trust me. We should all embrace it and feel at peace with ourselves the way we are instead of pointing fingers. Be yourself and find your own beauty. :) And why not tell the others that they are beautiful too? That's what I did it yesterday. I was at  a club with friends, and there was this girl that I've seen before... And there's just something about her that is striking to me, I don't know what it is, but I just had to tell her that she was beautiful. And she was so surprised! It felt like she doesn't hear it too often... and she's far from ugly! So why not make others fell good too? :)






3 comments:

  1. This blog post has touched my heart!!! Thank you so much for posting this blog post, it shows that you really care!!! You seem like such a sweet human being and I'm so blessed to have the small amount of beautifully kind people, watching my videos- and spreading the word!!! You're blog post made my heart smile, and my heart filled with even more love than I had before! You are a lovely soul, and I thank you multiple times:

    Thank you thank you thank you!
    HUGE hugs and HUGE HUGE HUGE love to infinty and beyond,
    Sarah xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this, what a delightful post! Very positive and uplifting :) I completely agree with you - makeup doesn't define who we are, and we shouldn't hide behind it, but instead embrace our own beauty and love ourselves for who we are -- its so important :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Emma - Thank you!! xx

    @Sarah - You're the one who did most of the work. ;) And besides, you are becoming an inspiration yourself! ♥

    ReplyDelete