Sunday, October 10, 2010

Violet sunday!

I'm all about nail polish lately. And since winter is right around the corner (trust me, in Eastern Canada, it is!), I've been really liking darker shades, on rather short nails. Having long nails isn't really an option with my merchandising job, which requires a lot of various item manipulations.

So, yesterday I tried a Revlon nail polish that I purchased earlier this week (3$ on sale at ShoppersDrugMart).  Here's what it looks like :


 What is it?? Revlon Nail Enamel in No Shrinking Violet (#790)

This color is a gorgeous, metallic deep purple, perfect for fall and winter My heart swang between this one and the color Steel Her Heart, which is a gunmetal grey (metallic as well), but I didn't think that the grey would suit me as nicely. As much as I love grey, I'm sad to say that I can't pull it off all that well... Except as an eyeshadow, weird huh? Anyways.

The application is super easy, as it is very rich and pigmented. I applied two coats, but a thick one could have been enough. I just feel that, in general, two thin coats dry quicker, and give a more opaque and clean finish. That being said, any nail polish that takes more than two coats isn't worth my time! Overall, No Shrinking Violet is a fantastic find! I can already tell that it is going to be one of my favorites this season!

As a base, I used :
Sally Hansen Age Correct Strength 
Dry + brittle nail care

I really, really like this product. My nails tend to break and peel a lot, mostly at work, and this nail care is truly helping. It does protect my nails and makes them hard and really shiny when used alone. It also makes them look healthier and whiter, as the product itself isn't totally clear. Since it does such a nice job as a treatment, I use it as a base so that it keeps preventing any damage.

And as a top coat, I used  :


Revlon Multi Care Base + Top Coat (#965)

I've only used this as a top coat so far. It makes my nail polish look really shiny and it helps it stay longer. It pretty much does what it has to do... I can go for days before I notice any chipping. Unfortunately, I had to do some dish washing today, so it did go off a little bit (I use really hot water, btw), but nothing outrageous. You just have to be careful when using this, because the brush can pick up some of your polish color. The trick is to just apply it in light strokes and not press it onto your nail!

3 comments:

  1. ooooh that purple polish is GORGEOUS!! i've been rather obsessed with purple polishes lately, i think i need to look for it tomorrow :D perfect color for fall/winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a colour for me :-P
    Thanks for the swatches.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. That color is very pretty!!

    Marcy,
    smudgemyeyeliner.com

    ReplyDelete